2018 Maker Village
Sunday, September 16
Open to the Public
A little over 6 years ago some folks started talking about having a people’s Innovative Fun Fair in Louisville, a place where everyone could come and show off innovated projects they were doing in their spare time (or at the office). A serendipitous dinner with Dale Daughtery, founder of Make magazine, leader of the Maker Movement and Louisville Native, led to the creation of a Louisville Mini Maker Faire.
The first 2 years the Faire was held in conjunction with Nulu Fest. As both events grew, the Maker Faire relocated to West Main Street’s Museum Row where we loved working with the people at the Kentucky Science Center, the Frazier, KMAC and the Sons of the American Revolution on Museum Row. Each year we were taking up more and more of Main Street, so we decided to take this Faire to 4thStreet Live!. This new partnership with 4th Street Live! has opened our options for growing the Faire. This year, preparation for graduating to a full fledged Maker Faire in 2019, we are hosting a Pop up Maker Village in and around FirstBuild on the University of Louisville campus at Floyd St. & Brandeis Ave.
Some Way Cool Things About the Faire:
· University of Louisville Engineering Garage demos from the Baja, Rocket and Formula 1 teams.
. Live metal 3D printing demostrations in UofL’s Additive Manufacturing Competency Center
· Live Music and demos presented by Louisville Soundbuilders
. Open tours of the FirstBuild Microfactory
· FirstBuild out in force with their products, Maker space tools & “A Taste of FirstBuild” (expanded)
· Checkout the hacking going on inside the FirstBuild “Hack the Home” hackathon and stick around to see the winning projects announced
· A dedicated STEAM area to inspire the Mini-Makers
· Our way cool booths mostly consist of projects/things/items made by companies, individuals, and schools (actually an amalgamation of all three) that push the experience boundaries.D
We want to express our gratitude to our Sponsors and Volunteers!
FirstBuild, Code Louisville, KCD, USA Image, Design Web and Make
Maker Faire is a gathering of fascinating, curious people who enjoy learning and who love sharing what they can do. From engineers to artists to scientists to crafters, Maker Faire is a venue for these "makers" to show hobbies, experiments, projects.
We call it the Greatest Show (& Tell) on Earth - a family-friendly showcase of invention, creativity, and resourcefulness.
Glimpse the future and get inspired!